The head core and valves are starting to look better. The head core was stripped and cleaned with Gunk Engine Brite gel and Seafoam and manual labor with a parts brush. I was going to get it built but with most of the parts being at the edge of spec, I figure I’ll get it back together, running, a log book then when we get done with Honey’s school I’ll start looking at pro heads. A pro head is only a few hundred more than me doing it myself with Dan doing the machine work.
Before you get it cleaned you’ll need to pop the valve seals off. These were pretty trashed. There is a special pliers to remove them but they aren’t available at most parts or tool stores, mostly online and the tool truck want about 70 bucks for the pair. Good news, you can use a screwdriver but I like using a pair of picks to pry them off. To install the new seals you can use a deep 1/4″ drive socket to push them on.
For the valves themselves rather than buy new, I measured them as per the FSM both prior to and after cleaning. They were cleaned with a 6″ brass wire wheel/ buffer. Brass is good because it’s soft. I then finish it off with Scotch Brite maroon and 600 emery. The exhausts aren’t too bad but the intakes are a bit of a bitch. This is a before and after of an intake.
This is a pic of both of the valves with before and after. Make sure you keep the parts in order so they go back into the same hole from which they came. I did splurge on this build and buy all new HLAs (lifters).